Primary purpose and function of the position is to orient and educate all nursing personnel who are hired in the facility and to ensure safe effective nursing care according to the federal, state and facility guidelines and policies and procedures. Second, to assist department heads with orientation and mandatory education required of all facility employees. Thirdly to assist the director of nursing in the administrative duties of the nursing department to include: nursing staff discipline; nursing staff performance evaluation; performance improvement activities, infection control and risk management monitoring and evaluation; maintenance of appropriate staffing levels and supervision; creation, review and revision of nursing care policy and procedures in accordance with federal and state guidelines and regulations; maintenance of employee files to ensure compliance with licensing, health monitoring and mandatory facility education requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises orientation for all facility personnel.
- Provides orientation for all nursing personnel according to state, federal and facility guidelines.
- Provides inservice orientation for all nursing and facility personnel to include federal and state mandated education.
- Records all employee inservice attendance.
- Responsible for yearly nursing staff competence assessment and record keeping.
- Obtains guest speakers when appropriate to topic. Resources may include:
- Lab services, physicians, pharmacy, respiratory therapists, case manager, social
worker, rehabilitation staff, and outside consultants as needed.
- Responsible for facility yearly inservice calendar.
- Participates in all aspects of performance improvement activities including risk
- Sits on the QA committee.
- Participates in all aspects of infection control activities. Sits on the infection
- control committee.
- Ensures the proper staff to patient ratios for the facility. Functions as the resource nurse, or staff nurse as needed.
- Creates, reviews or revises all facility policies and procedures in accordance with state, or federal guidelines as well as research based practice.
- Maintains and reviews employee files as they relate to health, licensure and
- mandatory education requirements to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Monitors compliance of nursing staff with all facility policies and procedures to
- ensure safe, effective nursing care for all residents.
- Other job duties as assigned.
California state RN licensure with one year experience in long term care.
One year experience with nursing education or patient teaching responsibilities or equivalent education.
Job Type: Full-time
- nursing education: 1 year
- long term care: 1 year
- DSD Certification
Required license or certification:
- CA LVN or RN License